Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I want to want what I ought to want

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.


I say that it is impossible to delight in ANYTHING unless it has already been something you desired. When you delight in something, you do so because it is fulfilling a longing, or a desire from your heart. Right?! I think so.

So this verse seems to be very circular to me.

If I am desiring God, if I am desiring to know Him, if I am asking Him for more of Him, if I am asking Him for a passion for His word, if I am seeking to serve Him as my King and my God... If I am doing those things, wouldn't He want to give me what I am desiring? Yes! His word makes that very clear. He wants us to seek Him, and His righteousness Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Before desiring money, food, fame, a big church, or ANYTHING else (that’s what first means), I ought to desire HIS KINGDOM.

And, if I am truly desiring to know God more and more, then I will be delighted to get Him. This makes sense. When I get what I desire, I am delighted.

So, when God delights me through Himself, through the revelations and gifts of the Holy Spirit and by allowing me to know Him and see Him and hear Him and obeying Him through Jesus Christ, then He will, according to this particular verse, give me more of Him (the desire of my heart). Right?! Right!

OK. Bye bye

No comments: