Friday, February 12, 2010

The GLORY of Jesus

John 17:24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

What an interesting prayer Jesus prayed for us in John 17. It's worth reading and re-reading many times.

What caught my attention this morning is this verse. See, I've been really meditating the last several weeks on "being satisfied in Jesus." John Piper's Desiring God tagline is - God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. There is a Tenth Avenue North song called Satisfy, and an Ascend the Hill song called Spend It All, and I've had these songs stuck in my head, on and off, for a while now too.
Anyhow, I've really just been thinking about this. I find myself praying that God would make me satisfied in Him alone. I want to be living a life that says, "Even if EVERYTHING else in my life were taken from me, I would still be completely satisfied and full of joy - all the time - because I have Jesus."

And this morning the above mentioned verse hit me between the eyes. (The last couple of days I've been in John 16 where Jesus tells the guys "You'll see me again and then have a joy that no one can take away" (my paraphrase of John 16:22).)

What really got me here is that Jesus, whose love for me is greater than anything else, wants me to be able to see His glory. His love for me doesn't cause Him to pray that I would be able to pay my bills, or have a good car, or health, or clothes, or anything else. He wants me to see His glory! So I have to believe that if THAT'S His prayer for me, then - - duh! - - THAT'S what will MOST satisfy me! How great is that?!

I know I'm not breaking new ground here. Many smart people have already learned this for themselves and shared it with others. It is simply what I read this morning, and I wanted to get these thoughts down before forgetting them.

I am just really excited about the satisfaction - all surpassing satisfaction - of knowing Jesus and seeing His glory! Praise Him!!!

No comments: